Friday, February 1, 2008

[Pre U Sem] Post interview notes

Was reading Mr Wong's blog post about child geniuses and decided to reflect on the issue which some students claimed that the Pre-U Sem interview was traumatic.

Being one of the interviewers, I would like to apologise for any misunderstanding that occurred and any trauma inflicted was unintended. I applaud your effort in turning up for the interviews and was impressed that many prepared for it. In fact, those who put in effort to research and willing to take the challenge, voicing their (justified) opinions are selected. Maturity does not occur overnight so I do not expect an 18 year old spouting philosophical quotes. Neither can I. If you ask me, what was I looking for in a candidate? A confident team player who is willing to go the mile. Knowledge is a bonus but not a necessity as it can be acquired.

I could not agree more with Mr Wong's observation and at the same time, be reminded of the times I felt such peer pressure when some of my JC classmates laughed at me when I was reading (not notes or textbook) during break time. I stopped reading. Hey, I was 17! At least not reading in front of such 'friends'. However, I managed to make friends who like to read and discuss issues with me. These friends are the few who passed GP and still keep in contact.
Although friends should not be categorised, instinctively one knows who are the true friends and who are not. A true friend will not laugh at your efforts or put you down. In fact, he/she will help to become a better person.

In spite of my job, my friends still call me a bimbo which I do not take offense because I am an airhead. I feel that I have too little time and want to learn/do too many things. Therefore, I am quite upset that some students have too much time and have no idea what to do (anything but study), decided to vandalise school property. Even during my rebellious days, the idea of destroying things was never on my agenda. When I asked ex-vandals the rationale behind their actions, they replied, 'Fun what!' This joy they achieved from destruction is barbaric and obviously, they do not respect or value others' property. To quote my colleague, 'Stupid is relative' so vandalism is the lowest, morally decadent form of catharsis yet some take pride in it. Anyway, that was a random note on vandalism.

Back on the issue of learning, I appreciate the time and effort given by my students, friends, colleagues who are willing to share their knowledge and experience with me. Thank you for 'dumbing down' for me and listening to my superficial comments. @_@

3 comments:

whynospoon said...

Well said by Ms Ong. In my short time here in MI, I am really sadden to see many students here 'enforcing' the culture of dumbness. Why should you short-change yourself? Just because you are in MI? I always ask my students - what's the difference between a MI student and a RJC student? The only difference is that you spend one more year studying for your A'levels. However, most of you think that you are 'no-hopers' since you are here.

Rubbish.

The worst thing you can do in your time here is to short-change yourself. If you want to get that A'level cert and to get a decent shot at entering university - start today. A lot of kids here, I noticed, die for the lack of trying, not for the lack of brain cells.

If those of you who think that Pre-U sem interviews were traumatic... you ain't seen nothing yet. Real life interviews can get a heck lot nastier. At least you have a chance to try and experience it in a safe environment of MI. Take it in a positive spirit and learn from your experience. Where are your interview shortcomings? Are you too nervous? Too unsure of responding? Distinct lack of interest? Too shallow thinking and responding? etc... Learn and try again.

Kieve said...

Alas! Was going to post my two cents worth but on second thoughts decided not to.In short,yes,MI students die not trying and not for the lack of brain cells.

But still I shall add a few points. The lack of trying seemed to be indirectly cultivated by the "Superman, Bird and Aeroplane" analogy of Mr Tan.(No offence ) An understanding of choice of tertiary education in MI and using MI as a lifebuoy as to avoid other institutes of education
(socially labeled "lower" caste of education) has to be made clear not only to staffs but students. Some points state here are of friends' opinion and mine. I too believe that the above mentioned analogy has unwittingly cause mental reconstruct to many of MI students, if your "here" in the 3rd paragraph is referring to us. I too believe that its taking its effect on me,slowly but deadly.

Not that I'm an ace student or sorts but I can see myself just secretly aiming to pass feebly for each test even though sometimes I know the results are obviously much better than expected. Part of it attributes to realistic thinking but I do feel the analogy has grip on us students once again.

Of course the possibility of being called up during assembly for posting this comment did struck a chord in me.( That is if any staff decides to click on the comment link!Haha!) I made a mental note particularly state this final point down.Like how the government encourages and tries to cultivate creativity in SG students, creativity require autonomy and tolerance. This too however applies to "Trying" and the varying ideas of trying. Instead of skipping the basis of creativity which is trying to be creative, the government make sure everyone is creative, student or working adults all are not spared. With the top guns thinking this way, it spreads down to everyone below "top gun" status. Little wonder why all the creative teaching and learning methods in the education system currently.

The root of all this is maybe the word "trying" exist in our dictionary but not the government" So we have the "Sure-fire" schools like xxjc,xjc etc..(Definition of sure-fire again is subjective) And there comes the local socially constructed mentality of MI being a trying school. Irony is now people see us as not trying but students that think that we ourselves have no hope. Whynospoon ,the fact is that the public opinion of us has now become the opinion of our own and that I have to admit is sad and grave at the same time. Much is to be done.

Ending abruptly here due to a disrupt in my train of thoughts,One thing that always intrigue me was that while other JC strive for a lower cut off point to fill its capacity with better students, MI seems to be striving to lowering its own to be taking in students. Now albeit that possibly that this opinion of mine is bound to cause truckloads of dispute somewhere somehow, I'm still adamant on standing firm on my ground that it is happening. If the school could start from Trying to play by the stated COP of L1R4 20 (From my memory this is the COP, because the school link to the admission criteria has died.) Perhaps the issue of trying wouldn't have been the focus in this comment. Trying is indeed the foundation all things.But then again, isn't its SG culture to skip steps and head for the big fish immediately? Oh well,I "Tried" addressing the issue, CAN ALREADY OR NOT?

-kieve

PS: whynospoon, I vaguely think I know you.

whynospoon said...

kieve,

ah... creative thinking, thinking out the box... etc... what box are we talking about? Does creative thinking mean coming up with some wow idea?

MI students, by and large, are pretty creative... creative in beating the system of latecoming, creative in beating the system of not handing in homework, creative in trying to come up with excuses for missing classes/school... etc.. you get the idea?

Creativity is in everything you do - that includes school work. If you are not doing well in your subjects, why not take a look at how you are doing things? Spot the weakness and then applying some remedy - that is creativity too.

Mr Tan's analogy... yes, I often see rolling eyeballs. However, does anyone actually stop and listen? The point is not that he is reinforcing the stereotypical MI student. Rather, he recognises that students here in MI needs a lot more help to be motivated to do well. Hence the airplane analogy. Those students who are the obvious cases of CMI would have been weeded out in PreU1 after the promos. It is the rest of the students who survived PreU1 that need a lot of motivation and guidance to make it to Uni.

Problem is most of the MI students are not motivated enough to believe that they can do it.. or, realised too late that they should do something about it. Hence, they get lousy A'level results, which then reinforces the public perception that MI is a place of last resort.

Wash, Rinse, Repeat... year after year.

Why don't students do something about it TODAY?

The interviews revealed a microcosm of the student population. Those who make it, are confident about their capabilities, sure of where they want to go and not afraid to put forward their thoughts in clear, logical and concise terms. Those who did not do well were either had a low-esteem of themselves and their capabilities, or were here just because their friends are coming, or have no idea what they are thinking of or doing.

So, think about it. Why should you be the one to reinforce the stereotypical image of MI? Why not do something about it?

Some students have a good idea why they are here. These do well.

Some students have no choice but to be here. Some do well cos they want to make it in life. Others just coast along until they get dumped out of school or fail their A'levels.

Some, till today, have no idea what they are doing here.

Think about it. Which category do you belong to?