Monday, May 21, 2007

MOE reads this blog!

Just as you think that the World Wide Web provides anonymity, it doesn't. Last Friday, we had a meeting with MOE Curriculum Planning and Development Department. I was trying to be inconspicuous, keeping myself busy with sugar rolls and curry puffs.
Suddenly, one of the MOE officials asked, "Is there a teacher with the initials OMG who keeps a blog?" Everyone starts looking around. "Or was it OMI? I can't remember the exact initials..."
Miss J poked me, "Oi... you la... OMY..."
"Huh? Me? What?" I was clueless about the search for the furtive OMG.
The official looked at me and asked, "What do you think about using the blog as a teaching tool? Is it useful?"
I blabbered something about posting assignment updates and some students used the tag board to ask questions. 30 percent of the students checked the blog frequently. At least 10 complained that I flood their email boxes.
She enquired if there was any occurence of anonymous insults or 'flaming'.
It occurred once to 07S1 students which resulted in a student scolding @#$% in my classroom and I ought to send him to detention for it. I found it quite juvenile - both the insinuous tag and getting angry over it. Anyway, just to let you know, MOE reads this blog so please do not try to post anything discriminating that will lead to disastrous results.

Disclaimer: This post serves as a reminder.
Wish: I need a pay rise.

No comments: